Search Benefits

Massachusetts Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) Benefits

Program Description

Food stamps, now called the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP), began in the United States in the late 1930's to help people buy and eat nutritious food, be stronger, and make up a more productive society. In 1971, the Food Stamp Program became a nationwide entitlement program. That means that as long as you meet the rules for SNAP, you have a legal right to get them. Eligibility for SNAP benefits depends on the number of people in your household and how much income you have. To get SNAP benefits, households must meet certain tests, including resource (assets) and income tests.

General Program Requirements

In order to qualify for this benefit program, you must be a resident of the state of Massachusetts and fall into one of two groups: (1) those with a current bank balance (savings and checking combined) under $2,001, or (2) those with a current bank balance (savings and checking combined) under $3,001 who share their household with a person or persons age 60 and over, or with a person with a disability (a child, your spouse, a parent, or yourself).

In order to qualify, you must have an annual household income (before taxes) that is below the following amounts:
Household Size* Maximum Income Level (Per Year)
1 $23,540
2 $31,860
3 $40,180
4 $48,500
5 $56,820
6 $65,140
7 $73,460
8 $81,780

Your Next Steps

The following information will lead you to the next steps to apply for this program.

Application Process

To apply for this program, you may apply online at:

Or, you may apply by mail or fax; visit and scroll to the heading that says "Apply by Mail or Fax" for the application and detailed instructions.

You may also request an application be mailed to you by calling 1-800-249-2007.

Program Contact Information

If a member of your household is an elderly (age 60 or over) and/or disabled person, special rules apply in order to receive Food Stamps in Massachusetts. For more information, please contact the Department of Transitional Assistance at: 1-800-249-2007