VA - Birth Defects Assistance - Payments for Children with Spina Bifida whose Parents Served in Vietnam or Korea Benefits
Program DescriptionSpina bifida patients who are natural children of Vietnam and Korea Veterans may be eligible for a monthly monetary allowance.
Please note: If you want to apply for either of the other spina bifida benefits (health care assistance or vocational training), you must start by applying for the monthly allowance.
General Program RequirementsIn order to qualify for this benefit program, you must be the biological child of a male or female Veteran who served in Vietnam or on the Korean demilitarized zone during specific time periods.
Your birth father or mother must have:
- Served in Vietnam during the period from January 9, 1962, through May 7, 1975, OR
- Served in or near the Korean Demilitarized Zone (DMZ) during the period from September 1, 1967, through August 31, 1971 and have been exposed to herbicides.
VA has no requirements regarding the character of the parent's discharge or the length of his or her service.The affected child must:
- Be diagnosed with a form of spina bifida other than spina bifida occulta.
- Have been conceived after the date on which the Veteran first served in the Republic of Vietnam or in the DMZ in Korea.
Your Next StepsThe following information will lead you to the next steps to apply for this program.
Application ProcessTo complete an application, use VA Form 21-0304, "Benefits for Certain Children with Disabilities born of Vietnam and Korea Veterans."
Alternatively, VA can send you the form if you call 1-800-827-1000.
Program Contact Information
If you have questions:
- Visit the Inquiry Routing & Information System (IRIS) website to search Frequently Asked Questions or ask a question on-line
- Call 1-800-827-1000
- Call 1-800-829-4833, if you are hearing impaired