Waiver of Insurance Premiums for Disabled Veterans Benefits
Program DescriptionSome Veterans Affairs (VA) life insurance policyholders may have their premiums waived, if they become totally disabled.
General Program RequirementsMany VA life insurance policies provide for a waiver of premiums if you become totally disabled. However, the following policies do not:
- Supplemental Service-Disabled Veterans Insurance (SRH)
- Servicemembers' Group Life Insurance (SGLI)
- Veterans Group Life Insurance (VGLI)
- Veterans Mortgage Life Insurance (VMLI)
- You must have a mental or physical disability that prevents you from substantial gainful employment.
- Your total disability must begin before your 65th birthday, and must continue for at least six consecutive months.
For more information, go to Filing a Claim for Disability Insurance Benefits.
Your Next StepsThe following information will lead you to the next steps to apply for this program.
Application ProcessTo complete an application, use VA Form 29-357, "Claim for Disability Insurance Benefits".
Program Contact Information
If you have questions:
- Visit the Inquiry Routing & Information System (IRIS) website to search Frequently Asked Questions or ask a question on-line
- Call 1-800-827-1000
- Call 1-800-829-4833, if you are hearing impaired